It’s best to secure your photographer before baby arrives. If you wait until after, life gets hectic very quickly and you’ll most likely forget to schedule your appointment within that precious 14-day window.
Babies are sleepy and content during their first two weeks of life. After 14 days, babies become more alert and aware of their surroundings. They’re no longer comfortable in those adorable womb-like poses.
Get in touch with your photographer, if they haven’t already contacted you, about a week after delivery, to reconfirm your appointment.
Review, and complete, the checklist below prior to the photo shoot. Otherwise, both you and the photographer will likely spend too much time trying to soothe the baby and not enough time capturing beautiful, magical, unforgettable portraits.
· Most important (!!!): Keep baby awake 1-2 hours prior to the shoot. This will ensure baby is sleepy for the session.
· Nursing mothers: avoid spicy foods 24 hours prior to the shoot, which may upset baby’s tummy.
· Ensure baby has a full belly prior toarriving for the shoot.
· Dress baby in loose clothing, but avoid clothing that must be pulled over baby’s head to be removed. Why loose clothing? It won’t leave lines on baby’s skin.
· Bring a pacifier.
· During the shoot, sit back and relax. Take advantage of this time to rest! Your professional photographer knows how to hold and handle your new bundle of joy.
· Do you want a sibling included in some photos? Maybe a couple family photos too? Let your photographer know this when scheduling your session. Typically, older siblings (who are often rambunctious toddlers) should be photographed with their new sibling first then allowed to play in a separate room while newborn photos are taken.
If you have a preferred color scheme or specific props in mind, discuss that with your photographer ahead of time. That way they can have the studio completely ready to go before you arrive with your sleepy and content baby.
A little planning and quick preparation will help your newborn session run smoothly, with precious photos as proof!